Do you view code reviews as a time suck, because they require a heavy-weight, meeting-based process
We reject this idea! Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review shows you how to perform effective lightweight code review – reviews that take 1/5th of the time of more traditional, heavy-weight reviews.
Developers are often reluctant to do reviews because they traditionally take the form of a heavy-weight, meeting-based process. Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review turns this notion upside-down and shows how to perform effective lightweight code review – which takes 1/5th of the time of more traditional, heavy-weight reviews. Take a look at the Table of Contents to choose what section you are going to read first.
Table of Contents
- The Case for Peer Review - The $1 billion bug and why no one talks about peer code review.
- Resistance to Code Review - Why some developers resist code review and how new tools change the game.
- Five Types of Review - Pros and cons of formal, over-the-shoulder, e-mail pass-around, pair-programming, and tool-assisted reviews.
- Brand New Information - What modern literature has to say about code review; what studies do and don’t agree on.
- Code Review at Cisco Systems - The largest case study ever done on lightweight code review process; data and lessons.
- Social Effects of Peer Review - Unexpected positive social aspects; handling hurt feelings, and the “Big Brother Effect.”
- Questions for a Review Process - Questions to ask and what to do with the answers when starting a peer review process.
- Measurement & Improvement - Which metrics are useful, what do they mean, what do they not mean, and how to use them to improve the process.
- The SEI Perspective - The science of code reviews from the perspective of the SEI, PSP, TSP, and CMMI.
- Code Collaborator - Screen-by-screen walk-through for the most popular peer code review tool on the market.
- About the Contributors
Whether you are a programmer or development manager, this is the book for you!